Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Even I can cook this!

Turns out I can cook!
 I didn't post yesterday because I was trying to make stew which turned into hamburger hobo stew. And I'll explain in a minute.  

First, my family has been super busy and my mom has decided that she doesn't want to make a big meal if no one is going to be home so dinner the past couple of months has been easy to make stuff or cereal, lots and lots of cereal. 
Second, I've been doing to grocery shopping lately to because my mom doesn't really like to go out. (This came about mostly because my mom doesn't want to do things)
Third, I don't have a vast knowledge or a ton of time to invest in cooking or finding recipes. So I've been putting off actually making things. 
So, I decided it was time to get a schedule together for the family meals. I really wanted to use the crock pot because of time and energy and I made a fabulous chicken and dumplings last week from this recipe : Chicken and Dumplings
It was fantastic and super easy!
So this week I wanted to try a stew recipe. I found one on Pinterest and made a shopping list but turns out I have maxed out the grocery budget for the month and have to wait a few more days to resupply. 
So this was made with food I already had. Hence the hobo part. 
When I was younger my family had a massive New Years Eve bon fire party and the invite was bring a chair and a can of food. My mom would make this huge pot of "stew" and every can brought no matter what it was (as long as it was meant for humans, don't get me started on the year someone brought cat food) it goes into the pot, then we wash out the cans and eat from them. I don't know how it started but it was awesome. 
Except for the year someone brought peaches that was just nasty!
Anyway back to the point. 
I didn't have stew meat so my sister recommended The Pioneer Woman's Hamburger Soup 
I used most of her recipe while I added a few things. 
I had to feed 6 people so I doubled most of the recipe for left overs. 
But here are some pictures 


My veggies. I added rutabaga because it needed to be cooked.
Personally I don't care for it but it was okay
 Warning Picture of raw meat. (why do people post these)

And the Finished product. 
It was delish!
 I also made some biscuits from Serious Eats
I don't have a picture because they ate them so fast. 
And that's my story of how I decided I could cook. 
These blogger ladies make it so easy and helpful!
By -J
What are your favorite recipes?


No comments:

Post a Comment