Friday, March 13, 2015

Beach Creatures Encounters

On my Instagram @by_j.blogger I am participating in a Blogger Life Photo Challenge for the month of March.
Day 12 was post a picture of an animal. 
I chose me holding the stingray I caught at the beach a few years ago. Which reminded me of all the crazy creatures I have seen over the years. 
So today I wanted to share some of my crazy beach adventures. 


Back Story
My parents bought a small condo on the beach when I was 5 and I spent most of my summers there. 
I loved it! still do, its a place where I feel safe and at home.
For years I've been building sandcastles and catching crabs, 
riding biking and fly kites,
making way too many friends count and enjoying when of the
prettiest places ever.

So animal #1 Dolphins
Unfortunately Dolphins have lost some of their magic 
over the years. I've seen them from afar and up close, 
I even watched the mama's teach the little ones to play in the surf. Majestic!

#2 Whale 
My first whale sighting was a remarkable thing. 
It was winter and we were visiting the beach and friends when we noticed a helicopter flying over the ocean.
A little bit later we saw the whale's tail rising out of the water. Breathtaking. It then flipped over and was flipping its fins out of the water, like he was waving at the helicopter. So cool!

#3 Shark
Shark should really be one of the firsts because I live in FL very close to the most popular shark attack beach.
 I'm no stranger to these guys. 
My brother even got bite while surfing.
(He is fine not even a scar, it was a baby and it bite his foot)
But this story is unique. 
I was casting netting, which if you don't know is where you launch/throw a big net into the water with weights on it so it sinks quickly in order to capture the fish. 
(we let them go after, unless they were big enough to eat)
Anyway I was standing in water about calf deep with my 10yr old niece next to be. I looked down into the water and saw a 5ft nurf shark just sitting in the water 2ft from us. 
Needless to say I turned, grabbed my niece and ran. 
Not the best idea because you are supposed to be calm.
But I was 14 give my a break.
A few miutes later I went back having tackled my fear and stumbled upon another shark about 4ft. 
Just sitting there waiting for something, 
This time I was with my younger brother, 
I turned and pointed, showing him the shark 
and he turned around and ran. 
I guess I was no longer scared. (Kinda)

#4 Stingray
The Picture on IG shows the baby stingray I caught one summer with the cast net in the shallow water. 
That was amazing. I was so surprised when I saw it in the water and he took awhile to catch
(they are very fast swimmers)

#5 Crabs and Jelly Fish
Okay these really should have been first because I have 
been messing with crabs for years. :)

#6 Puffer Fish and Seahorse
The puffer fish I saw when I fell of the surfboard right next to it in really clear water and it puffed up. 
I must have scared it ;)
The seahorse I caught with my hands.
When I am out waist deep I look for seaweed because little fish, crabs, seahorses and other creature hid in it. 
I pulled one apart and found a seahorse. 
That was really exciting. 

#7 Manatee 
The manatee is a newer edition to my collection of crazy animal encounters. 
My friends and I were in the surf 
(where the water crashes and is about waist deep)
and all of a sudden this huge "thing" rises up out of the waves right next to us and it kinda freaked me out
(only cause I have a fear of finding a body in the ocean)
Until I saw the very manatee looking tail. 
My brother has had one rub up against him in the water.  

#8 Turtles!!
OMG this past summer (August 2014)
My sister and I were going for a walk on the beach at night and when we stepped on the sand I turned on my flashlight to see and we found baby sea turtles that had just hatched and where headed to the ocean. 

15 of these adorable guys!
Turtles head towards light so we guided them with our flashlights into the ocean.
Watching them get it by the ways and still swim towards it was entertaining.

I've had a few other shark encounters but I'll save them for another day. 
By -J 
These are just a few reasons why I love the beach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment