Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Changes

I was recently talking to my older sister
and we stumbled onto me having grown up
in the last year. 

A little background into my family, 
as I have mentioned I have a big one.
5 sisters (all older) and 5 brothers (4 older)
Yes, I am the baby girl :)
Now because I am the baby and my sisters 
were pretty grown by the time I was born, 
I'm kinda looked upon as their baby. 
Kind of hard to grow out of that image. 

Anyway in the last year I felt like I had 
taken some major steps in growing up 
and getting ready for college. 
I've had various jobs since I was about 14
Babysitting, dog sitting, cleaning, 
demonstrator for the younger kids in dance. 
But I started a receptionist job last September, 
which may sound weird, but really suits me. 
It allows me to do school during slow 
periods and work part time.

I also worked hard to finish up some 
classes that I had slacked on. 
(Math and I are not friends)
I felt that I had grown,
 and hoped that others could see that too. 

Whether or not you live in a big family, 
you will always have people measure you 
against others.
Something my mom really gave us 
was time to complete things. 
She understood that while we may not learn at 
the speed of others or accomplish things 
at the rate our siblings did, we were allowed 
to make certain choices. 

Some of my siblings seem to forget 
that we are not miniature thems.
And we will not make the same choices. 
It is that time in life where you drift away from 
childhood friends, 
and gravitate to the next season of life.
Big families have a stereotype of being close. 
Well I'm drifting, which is okay because 
I will never sever the ties, 
but I do need to make my own choices. 
I've seen the results and I believe I can 
make a path, even with screw ups, 
that is my own. 

So, what did we learn. 

1. Stereotypes are reasonable,
 but go ahead and brake the mold.  
2. You will have to grow up and make decisions,
but work with your support system now to prepare for
 the times on your own. 
3. You are never to old to spend time with family.
4. People will compare you and tell you 
what they think you should do, 
Nod your head and then do whatever you were going to do. 
(I'm only slightly kidding, advice is always good)
5. family can be the best and worst, 
choose to remember the best and shrug off the worst.
6. Growing up is hard, and you will have to say goodbye to 
dear friends, but there will be more and maybe
you needed them for only so long. 
7. work hard, in school, at work, wherever.
8.be honest, it can be hard but trust me
it is so much better. 
9. a job is a job, be thankful you have one.
10. schedule time to relax or be alone.

I recently have taken time to do things alone. 
I took myself out to a movie and shopping. 
Lunch and browsing downtown on Monday afternoon. 


Learn who you are when you are alone. 

By -J 
Best of Luck! 
And congrats to the grads!


No comments:

Post a Comment